A step in the dark
Adrian Kirkwood talking at CALRG 09
Cloud created by:
18 May 2009
A step in the dark –evaluating the Open University home computing project
A reflective talklooking at the OU’s early moves into providing more IT provision
Home computing policy1988
Provided computingfacilities as early as early 1970s
Many more courses wanted to include student use of a computer
Desktop computers justentered mass market
HCP (Home Computing Policy)students now required to arrange own access to PC
Home computer – "an MS Dosmachine with 512K disk storage mouse and capable of supporting graphics"
Initial courses – M205Fundamentals of computing; DT200 An introduction to IT, M353 ComputationalMathematics
Evaluation team –interested in the longer-term educational and social issues associated with theintroduction of home computing
- What are the implications of home computing for course design?
- Different ways in which computers could enhance learning, teaching and support?
- Computer-mediated communication
- Access and equal opportunities – gender and age implications
- The social and physical context
- Institutional change