Tool: Design principles database
Presentation at the Pedagogical Planner Summit, Open University, 6th July 09
Cloud created by:
6 July 2009
Yael Kali talking about the Design Principle Database tool. From the website:
"Whether you are an educational technology researcher, a learning scientist, a designer of web-based learning materials, or a teacher using technology, the DPD is a place for you to learn from the wisdom gained by dozens of researchers who have designed, enacted with students, and studied the use of technology for learning. This wisdom is translated in the DPD into pedagogical Design Principles at three grain-size levels, exemplified with Design Features."
- Not an authoring environment, it’s a database of ideas, the idea is to collect good design knowledge, we are still trying to find ways to connect the different authoring environments
- It's heirachical in structure, at the bottom have specific examples – CrystalLab, Geo3D, BlockStacking, WISE, Legacy Cycel, Symphony inquiry wheel – have about 30 design principles associated with 4 meta-principles For example: meta-principle “Make thinking visible”
Three modes 1. Browse, 2. Participate, 3. Design
- Can search and will return examples of features and principles, for example “complexity” – one example ‘engage learners in complex projects’ shows the meta principles – and ‘make contents accessible’ and ‘promote autonomous life long learning’. Provides a description and some pointers to further references and can see examples of how others have been using it.
- Meta principles, pragmatic principles and features
Book: Designing coherent science education: implications for curriculum, instruction and policy: Yael Kail , Linn and Roseman (EDITORS)
- Link with the TELS (Technology-enhanced Learning in Sciences) project in the states
- Take a design principle and show how it is instantiated in different contexts
- Use the ADDIE model Analyse, Design, Develop, Implement, Evaluation
- Have about 30 principles – these can be filtered and searched in different ways