How to set up a Cloud or Cloudscape
Basic guide to setting up a Cloud or Cloudscape, and the difference between the two
Cloud created by:
22 October 2009
What are Clouds and Cloudscapes?
A Cloud could be an idea, tool, question, advice or learning design. For example a brief introduction and a link to a new mindmapping tool, or a question about how you might use Twitter in the classroom successfully. It could also be a session at a conference or workshop activity and contain your slideshow, a discussion stream and links to relevant research and academic references.
You might set up a Cloudscape when you want to bundle together several ideas, tools, activities (Clouds) together. For example for your own use you may want to pull together all Clouds relating to e-assessment, or several activities that relate to one workshop. Clouds can belong to any number of Cloudscapes. If you are still not sure of the difference between a Cloud and a Cloudscape you may find it useful to watch this short video
The functionality of Clouds and Cloudscapes.
Cloudscape: a collection of Clouds
- Favourite the Cloudscape
- Follow the Cloudscape
- Add dates (and the Cloudscape will appear in events listing)
- Mark as attending (for Cloudscapes with dates) – for entirely online conferences this function can be used for registration.
- RSS feed
- View Cloudstream
- Add tags
- Add Clouds
- Sort Clouds into sections (where there are a lot of Clouds in a Cloudscape they can be sorted into categories under tabs. For a conference this might be by day, theme, type of Cloud etc)
- Upload a picture
- Add a Twitter feed
Cloud: for discussion, sharing and debate around a learning design, question, idea or theme.
- Favourite the Cloud (for bookmarking and recommending to others)
- Follow a Cloud (and receive email updates any time something is added)
- Have a discussion
- Embed a video, image, slideshow (from any of 5min Amazon Product Images Flickr Google Video Hulu Imdb Metacafe Qik Revision3 Slideshare Twitpic Viddler Vimeo Wikipedia WordPress YouTube )
- Add a link
- Recommend a link (i.e. vote for a link that someone else has added)
- Add an academic reference
- Add extra content (i.e. project information, live blog of presentation etc)
- Add tags
Setting up a Cloud
This is really quick and easy to do. To set up a Cloud either go to a Cloudscape you want to add to and click on "Create Cloud in this Cloudscape" or if you want your Cloud to stand alone, click on the Cloud tab at the top of the page and then click on "+Create a Cloud"
Setting up a Cloudscape
To set up a Cloudscape click on the Cloudscape tab and then "+Create a Cloudscape"
To add Clouds to your Cloudscape
Go to those Clouds and click on "Add to a Cloudscape". Chose the Cloudscape you wish to add it to the Click "Add to Cloudscape".