Research Skills: Career Management
Career management skills required of excellent PhD or doctoral students
Cloud created by:
12 November 2010
An excellent researcher at doctoral or PhD level:
- Takes ownership for and manages own career progression, sets realistic and achievable career goals, identifies and develops ways to improve employability.
Looking ahead, a doctoral student can aim to become an excellent early-career researcher who:
- Forms credible career plans
- Critically reflects on experiences and pursues a cycle of self-improvement
- Seeks advice, guidance or coaching from appropriate professionals
- Initiates and sustains networks and relationships that may encourage opportunities for employment.
- Presents own skills, personal attributes and experiences through effective CVs, applications and interviews.
- Begins to establish a career network.
Note: These skills are identified in the UK Researcher Development Framework – where they appear as B3.1 Self-management: Career Management