Research Skills: People Management
People Management skills required of excellent PhD or doctoral students
Cloud created by:
12 November 2010
An excellent researcher at doctoral or PhD level:
- Negotiates activities and deadlines with supervisor/line manager.
Looking ahead, a doctoral student can aim to become an excellent early-career researcher who:
- Becomes conscious of own management style; improves approach and technique.
- Supervises/manages and develops less experienced researchers and students, with sensitivity.
- States clear expectations, clarifies goals and negotiates realistic deadlines so that people know what is expected of them.
- Sets an example in relation to equality and diversity matters; challenges inappropriate behaviour.
- Motivates and encourages others.
Note: These skills are identified in the UK Researcher Development Framework – where they appear as D1.3 Working with Others: People Management