Skills for Independent Learning
Developing information literacy skills and integrating use of Library e-resources
Cloud created by:
13 January 2009
Use this cloud to discuss ideas for helping students to develop their information literacy skills:
- Level 1: find, select and use information in defined contexts.
- Level 2: find, critically evaluate and use information in a range of contexts.
The FELS Library team will write activities using different approaches to help students' skills progression from Level 1 to Level 2: eg
- using a familiar source, help students to 'Get more out of Google' with tips on constructing a successful search. (K115)
- using a newspaper database, find a specific article; search by topic for a second article and evaluate the content of both. (SDK125)
- using an e-journals database, follow illustrated guide to plan and carry out a search, view and download results. (E112)
- using a dual-pane frame with the step-by-step activity in the left pane and live view of a database on the right hand side, carry out a search to find a specific journal article or material on a topic. (D170)
- following links and instructions, find and review an article, and then follow link to feedback.(B201).
- using a quizz, test skillls in constructing a search, referencing and evaluating resources (K216)