Usable Representations of Learning Design for Educators and Instructional Designers
1 December 2010
Online Educa Workshop
Cloudscape created by:
30 November 2010
- Charalambos Vrasidas, CARDET, University of Nicosia, Cyprus
- Gráinne Conole, The Open University, UK
- Symeon Retalis, University of Piraeus, Greece
Currently, several initiatives have been set up and a lot of attempts have been made in order to explore conceptualizations of learning designs such as IMS LD, educational modelling languages like EML, learning flow design patterns, pedagogical patterns and of course visual tools for creating learning designs. ‘Learning Design’ is the term most commonly used to describe the research and development activities associated with a better understanding of the process involved in designing learning activities and which support teachers’ design practices.
The learning design research community faces a big challenge: to find powerful ways of providing structured, teacher-friendly, formalized and visual representations of learning designs.
The goal of this workshop is to bring together experts in learning design and pedagogical patterns research with teachers, educational designers, content experts and teaching practitioners to exchange ideas on learning design as well as their experiences in evaluating the application of various proposed approaches in practice. This workshop addresses three (3) key topics in the field:
- How can designs be represented and what is the value and use of different forms of representation?
- How can designs be shared and discussed; How might web 2.0 approaches be used?
- How can designs be used by teachers and educational practitionners? How are different pedagogical approaches represented in different design representations?
The structure of the workshop will be the following:
First, an overview of different types of learning design representations (in addition to LD tools) will be given. Discussion about the way these can be used in different contexts will occur.
Then, the approaches that have to do with sharing, discussing and peer reviewing of learning designs in web 2.0 spaces (e.g. Cloudworks) will be analysed and discussed.
This workshop is related to dissemination activities of the following projects:
- Design-Practice - A Framework for Preparing Teachers to Teach with ICT”, partially funded by the European Commission Lifelong Learning Programme Leonardo da Vinci –Transfer of Innovation (grant contract: LLP-LdV-TOI-09-CY-167918), 1/10/2009-30/09/2011
Clouds in this Cloudscape
- Activity - Cloudquest Challenge (1 comment)
- Activity: 10 minutes: Course Dimensions
- Activity: 20 mins: How to ruin a course (14 comments)
- Activity: 20 minutes: Course Map (5 comments)
- Activity: 20mins: Affordances: Tools in use (3 comments)
- Activity: 30 mins: Learning Outcomes view (1 comment)
- Activity: 30 mins: Sharing designs
- Activity: 45 mins: Task Swimlane (23 comments)
- Activity: Activity Planner (7 comments)
- Conole: Powerpoint slides
- Evaluation feedback
- Vrasidas & Retalis Presentation Slides
- "I used this to test a couple of courses at both HE and lower levels and found it useful to see...
added to Activity: 20 minutes: Course Map by Sancha de Burca on 18 January 2013
- "I could not find out how to use the blank forms.
So I made my own....then it took me perhaps...
added to Activity: 20 minutes: Course Map by Susan Hillyard on 10 January 2013