Cloudscape created by:
17 February 2009
Who are we?
The eLearning Community (eLC) is an informal community of over 300 Open University staff (including associate lecturers) who are interested in eLearning. The eLC was founded in 2006 under the leadership of Chris Pegler.
What do we do?
We organise monthly events at the OU's Walton Hall campus in Milton Keynes which typically feature a series of short presentations about the use of eLearning within Higher Education and updates on research projects. They are not training events but rather a place for sharing and discussing practice, developments and lessons learnt. Events are open to anyone in the OU and not just members of the community and are webcast for OU staff who could not attend.
Details of recent and future events are featured in Clouds in this Cloudscape and links to them are listed below.
Dates for your diary
- Tuesday 17 October 2017 - Retention and Progression
- Thursday 16 November 2017 - 'Digital by Design' - finding the middle ground
- Tuesday 12 December 2017 - eSTEeM themed event
- Thursday 18 January 2018 - Online Rooms - Adobe Connect
- Tuesday 20 February 2018 - Innovation in tuition delivery
- Thursday 22 March 2018 - 'Live learning'
- Tuesday 24 April 2018 - Active presentation
We are also planning to run events on the following dates and will update this pages with further details when we have them:
- Wednesday 23 May 2018
- Thursday 28 June 2018
All events will be in Library Seminar Rooms 1 & 2 starting at 10am unless otherwise stated on the page for each event.
The e-Learning Digest is a monthly email containing an interesting collection of information about eLearning related events within and beyond the OU and items from the media compiled by Jim Ellis, with contributions from members and non-members alike who have information they would like to share. The Digest is also published on Cloudworks where you can read both recent and archive editions.
How do I become a member?
Membership of the eLC is open to all. Reflecting the informal nature of the eLC, to 'join' all you have to do is subscribe to the eLC's mailing list.
For members of staff at the OU, go the OU mailing lists, look for 'strategy-elearning-community-list' and click on 'Subscribe'. If you are a tutor you should use your OU email address without the final 'open.ac.uk' - for example 'xyz123@tutor'.
For anyone else, please contact Jim Ellis to subscribe to the mailing list
- e-Learning Digest covers news and reports on e-Learning pedagogy, technologies, practice and trends - from the public and private sectors in the UK and overseas.
- eLC case study from the Learning and Teaching Centre
Clouds in this Cloudscape
- 10th birthday event: the last 10 years and a look into the future - 22 November 2016
- Addressing assessment of media-rich artefacts
- Assessment and Curriculum Design: Social Sciences
- Community and Identity
- Curriculum business models
- Delivering Learning Programmes on FutureLearn
- Direct authoring - 13 December 2016
- eLC Event: Assessment and Feedback - 23 January 2014
- eLC Event: Badges for informal and formal learning- 17 December 2013
- eLC Event: Data Visualisation and Map My Programme - 13 November 2013
- eLC Event: Location-aware applications and learning- 15 October 2013
- eLC Event: Mobile devices: what type and combinations do students and tutors welcome for L&T? - 11 February 2014
- eLC Event: Networked practitioners: Activity beyond the garden walls - 25 March 2014 (1 comment)
- eLC Event: PVC-LT scholarship projects: Show & Tell + Workshop on Digital Scholarship - how to publish with impact
- eLearning Community Event: Accessibility
- eLearning Community Event: Data Insight and the work of IET Wranglers: Interpreting OU student learning data and understanding its shortcomings
- eLearning Community Event: eBooks and related technologies
- eLearning Community Event: eSTEeM Themed Event
- eLearning Community Event: MOOCs at the Open University: past, present and future (5 comments)
- eLearning Community Event: Moving to the Elluminate replacement
- eLearning Community Event: Peer Collaboration and Group Work
- eLearning Community Event: User Generated Content
- eLearning Community: Work in progress
- Elluminating the student experience - Associate Lecturers and other experts
- Faculty of Education and Language Studies: Level 1 online - the challenges
- FELS Department of Languages
- Focus on younger students
- From informal to formal learning
- Future VLE 2011 (1 comment)
- Gender Issues in HE
- Handheld and mobile devices - pedagogy and practice
- Inquiry to Innovation: Approaches to Teaching STEM Practice at a distance
- Learning analytics
- Learning Analytics, 5 May 2016
- Learning from Languages at the OU and beyond: Apps, repositories, telecollaboration and more ...
- Low-cost experiential mobile learning and user-generated content - stories from Sydney
- Mapping and eLearning
- Mobile Learning and Pedagogy - 5 November 2015
- Online Assessment
- Open Education at The Open University
- Open tools for teaching and learning: corpora and eportfolios
- OpenOpen (Open University and Open Educational Resources: sharing research and practice) (3 comments)
- OpenPad: using your scholarship to achieve HEA recognition
- Podcasting and public engagement
- Raspberry Pi workshop
- Retention and Progression
- Sensors, gadgets and fieldwork
- Technology-enhanced assessment
- The future of the VLE at the Open University? What would you like it to be? (1 comment)
- The Open University Business School and elearning (2 comments)
- The OU and elearning: How eprepared are we?
- The OU: working with partners overseas
- The Practical Sandpit (2 comments)
- The value of typologies of engagement
- The work of LTI Translation and their impact on student engagement and success
- Two approaches to learner-enhanced online environments
- User Generated Content
- Using the student voice to shape Library Services
- Where do OU VLE forums stand, especially now our students have Facebook?
- "I am interested in tutoring for business organization, Write My Essay yet in...
added to The Open University Business School and elearning by Stella Stone on 28 September 2017
- Recordings are available to view via Stadium
new embedded content added to the cloud Learning Analytics, 5 May 2016 by Celia Bautista on 19 May 2016