Cloudworks is no longer accepting new user registrations, and will be closing down on 24th June 2019. We hope to make a read-only archive of the site available soon after.
Keynote by Oleg Liber
Cloud created by:
5 November 2009
Oleg Liber, outgoing Director of CETIS
Oleg Liber – Transition
- What to reflect on where we are now?
- The state of the education system. Still feel things could be so much better
- We live in a technology rich world, very different from 10-15 years ago, 75% computer ownership in the UK, Over 70% internet use. ¼ involves uploading content to share
- 50% of 8-17 age have online profile and 15% of their parent
- 5000 days of the web, Kevin Kelly, we thought the web would be like TV but only better – YouTube video
- Like university education only better?
- Our institutions are largely unchanged, structurally it’s the same - they seek to incorporate technologies without changing structures
- But pressures are enormous - globalisation - knowlege ecoomy - widening participation - funding - fees - student as customer - employability -.....
- ICT causes this problem and promised to solve it! But we don’t know how to use it, We hang on to the old and try to fit ICT into it – like a half car and horse
11:09 on 10 November 2009 (Edited 11:11 on 10 November 2009)
Oleg Liber "Transition"
- Over 70% internet use - one quater uploaded content to share. Other statistics.
- About 5000 days of the web (Kelly).
- Kevin Kelly "We thought the web would be TV only better."
- Our institutions are largely unchanged. Huge blackboard - huge Powerpoint screen.
- Doesn't always work eg. Global banking - controversial?
- Stresses, in education are increasingly evident. Cycle: globalisation - knowledge economy - widening participation - funding - fees - student as customer - employability - (globalisation).
- ICT caused this problem!
- "We look at the present through a rear view mirror" (? Marshal ?)
- The old way works. (lectures, courses, admin, cert.) versus new models - no repeatable patterns, no tacit behavioural forms - screen shots of Moodle, Twitter.
- Examples from online shopping, online music (Pirate Bay)...
- UNiversity Inc. (Jennifer Washburn, book). Big diagram: primary to University education.
- OER Africa ... Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ).
- "We must preserve universities as creators of knowledge" - collaboration, open access publications, apprentice research, work-based learning at university(!)
- ... Current questions...
- "What has been the impact of VLEs...?" "Is OER just another content programme?" "How can we build a better understanding of our institutions ...?"...
- Lots of quotes "The cure can be worse than the disease" "Faster is slower" (impact assessments happen too fast)...
- "The fith discipline", book, (1990) Peter Senge. (systems thinking, personal mastery...)
- "Everything that can be invented has been invented" Charles H Duel, US office of patents, 1899. "640k ought to be enough for anybody" Bill Gates
- Key point: difficult but creative times ahead. Less funding, bigger challenges, sustainability, in open education.
- Good luck!
11:16 on 10 November 2009 (Edited 11:30 on 10 November 2009)
- The old ways work – why change? New models of technology based co-working have no formality
- We see the uneasy co-existence of these two worlds everywhere – newspapers vs. blogosphere etc example – TV, banking, news, shopping, music. All these industries are struggling with the impact of alternative ways of working and business models. Same happened before shift from hand-made to industrial. Now a niche for specialised hand made. Will the same happen with education. The challenge for us to is made this transition. We have to see the education system as a service but a collection of business. We need to put our effort in bringing education to the people
- We can make learning freely avaialble online - we have the technology. More than resources (OER). OER - OE (Open Experiences). free, open and self-organised. Beyond content.
- We can make learing available in the workplace - relevant, problem, inquiry-based. Lecturer as consultant. Enhacning individual and buinsess capacity. Beyond curriculum.
- We must make certification manageable. Beyond grade equivalence
- Electronic portfolios book - Simon Grant
- We must perserve univeristies as creators of knowledge - collaboration in research, sharing data, open access publications, apprentice researchers, universites are work places too! Beyond eResearch
11:16 on 10 November 2009 (Edited 11:20 on 10 November 2009)
Three areas - we must transform university management
- Research - knwoedlge creation and researcher development
- Adminstration - Agile, collaborative, business intelligvne, multiple services, beyond e-adminstration
- Learning - Open learning, work-based learning
Currently a complex time, after confusion comes learning. In 1993 thought technology was done, and then along came the web.... feels like a similar situation now, but will we be surprised? In a period of confusion, we are doing the right things at the moment?
- What has been the impact of VLEs and where now?
- Is OER just another content programme?
- How should we developent online assessment further?
- What the urgent focus for e-portfolio - work, learning or showcase?
- How can we build a beter understanding of our institutions and is Enterprise Architecture worth the effort?
- What do we mean by pedagogy and has technology helped?
17:06 on 10 November 2009