Cloudworks is no longer accepting new user registrations, and will be closing down on 24th June 2019. We hope to make a read-only archive of the site available soon after.
Cloud created by:
16 November 2009
Design Challenges for the Integration of Emerging User Generated Content and Contexts in Formal Education - Daniel Spikol & Marcelo Milrad
- What new design challenges does the integration of emerging user generated content and contexts in formal education raise, for the learners, the teachers, the organizations, and the business around education?
- Currently e‐books are not cheaper then traditional textbooks in pricing. Will this change when large school systems begin to utilize them in the state of California for example?
- From a real-world research perspective, what are the best design strategies and methods to support active users?
- Can a focus on a more seamless integration of mobile devices and laptops between outside and inside the classroom provide motivation for higher active creation?
- How do we create the right environment for all learners to be active in communities of participation?
- How do we overcome the or the laws of participation where it is acceptable for only a very small percentage of people to be active in creation of content? Even though the small percentage of active creators is significantly more then traditional media creation?
Learner-constructed trails in museums - Kevin Walker
- What other activities can support informal learning experiences?
- How do mobile digital technologies mediate and support learners’ experience of activities such as trails?
- What is an appropriate model for the design and analysis of technology-mediated activities in informal learning contexts?
- How to balance structure and freedom; and the content of cultural authorities v. that of learners
Challenges for Integrative Design and Research in Mobile Learning- Brenda Bannan
How do we provide flexible design and research models and the integration of both to progressively and simultaneously improve learning and technologies, particularly in regard to the unique socio-cultural and transformative potential of mobile learning environments?
From a theoretical frame of the ‘mobile complex’ (Pachler, Cook and Bachmair, in press), how do we employ the important constructs of agency, culture and social structure in a systematic process of identifying, generating and determining directions for integrative design and research cycles?
What does the shift in the use of mobile devices as provoking informal, fluid, ubiquitous, usercontribution/ participation and meaning-making experiences (Pachler, Cook and Bachmair, in press) mean for identifying or generating informal learning targets for design and research?What special considerations does the “mobile complex” evoke in how we collect and analyze data and the methods we might employ in a systematic, iterative and interventionist design research effort?
Current Plans for the Design Challenges session
Flexible design conversations to help create strategies for mobile complex learning activities
Design research is useful to not only understand individuals but also frame individual behaviors in the context and community that surrounds them. Therefore, it will be important to employ many methods of research.
Walker: learner constructed threads
How mobile complex support learner constructed threads
Bannan: Flexible Design and research models
How do we provide flexible design and research models across the theoretical frame
Spikol: Active participation across social and cultural practices
How do we identify the design challenges to get active involvement?
4 part session (25 minutes each) + 20 minute slush time (Pomodoro technique)
- Key concepts across the 3 papers
- Introduction to HCD micro techniques
Session 2 & 3 (50-60 minutes)
Break into 3 groups for Brainstorming, Photo Story, and Seek Inspiration
- Warm Up sessions
- Then the stickies
- Upload to site
- Outside with self documentation style
- Uploaded to site
- All about feelings and emotions
- upload to site
- Presentations and sum of groups
- Draft bullets for design strategies
- Brainstorm and generation of potential design and research challenges based on experience with all the time and resources available, what would you have done in considering user-constructed/active design, in mobile research, in integrated design and research cycles?
14:54 on 24 November 2009
Defining/Designing augmented contexts for learning - Carl Smith
- What is the relationship between learning and context?
- What is specific to a learning context which is not to be found in other contexts?
- Do certain pedagogical practices encourage mobilisation and mediation more than others?
- How does AR affect the relationship between theory and practice?
- Does the mass quantity of ‘instant wisdom’ that widespread AR may provide have negative implications?
08:22 on 29 November 2009
Some notes from Day 1 Workshop may be found:
17:05 on 30 November 2009