Complying with heath and safety legislation
Research Skills required by PhD students B4: Complying with health and safety legislation....
Cloud created by:
4 March 2010
B4: Understand relevant health and safety issues and demonstrate responsible working practices
Check this skill
By the time students complete a PhD, they should be able to answer ‘Yes’ to most of these questions.
- Do you know what your legal rights and responsibilities are under health and safety legislation as a member of the university, and can you fulfill them?
- If you are working outside your university, do you know what your legal rights and responsibilities are as a member of the university, and can you fulfill them?
- Do you know how to conduct a risk assessment?
- Do you know what safety training is required for your work?
- Have you met your discipline’s requirements for health and safety training?
- Can you demonstrate safe working practices in your environment?
Evidence of this skill
These are examples of documents you can collect. Each implies a piece or work, which may be a good way for you to develop this skill.
- A record of satisfactory completion of relevant health and safety training.
- Successfully completed risk assessments for all relevant elements of your research.
This page is based upon material produced by The Open University’s research school to support doctoral students.