Research Skills required by PhD students D5: Demonstrate self-discipline, motivation, and...
Cloud created by:
9 March 2010
Research Skills required by PhD students D5: Demonstrate self-discipline, motivation, and thoroughness
Check this skill
By the time students complete a PhD, they should be able to answer ‘Yes’ to most of these questions.
- Do you meet deadlines without having to be reminded?
- Do you work to exacting standards - e.g. ensuring your writing is grammatical and well set out?
- Do you keep effective and comprehensive records of your research progress?
- Do you stay 'on track' of mundane administration without being nagged?
- Can you find things easily when you need to?
- Can you maintain a reasonable level of sustained output over time?
- Can you follow through your plans to completion, without becoming distracted?
- Are you prepared to 'go the extra mile' to meet a deadline?
Evidence of this skill
These are examples of documents you can collect. Each implies a piece or work, which may be a good way for you to develop this skill.
- Probation assessment, annual reports and PhD thesis completed on time.
- Probation assessment, annual reports and PhD thesis prepared thoroughly and to satisfactory standard.
- Satisfactory standards in lab book or other record of research progress.
- Record of 'staying on track' despite hurdles that needed to be overcome.
This page is based upon material produced by The Open University’s research school to support doctoral students.