Cloudworks is no longer accepting new user registrations, and will be closing down on 24th June 2019. We hope to make a read-only archive of the site available soon after.
Presentation: Hilary Thomas Getting to know you, getting to know all about you
Presentation at NLC 2010, 3rd May 2010
Cloud created by:
3 May 2010
Hilary Thomas Getting to know you, getting to know all about you
- Interested in how we share meaning.
- Context adult creative writing, a lot of emphasis on peer critiquing.
- Does text-based communication effect the way we relate?
- Chose 5 people to interview in-depth, all had worked together in an online course
Number of key points
- Participients make things up about each other, for example names (give you a hook into a time period),
- Aware of the timeliness of responses (busy or not interested),
- Varied depending on students,
- Picked up on grammar and typos,
- Responses to the content - both in conversations and their writing
Poem by one of the participants - Auntie Fred's Handbag... all of the students referred to this in their interviews, they all drew on this. They described this participant as quite cryptic and distant although they thought she was insightful.
- Particualr influences on the way that participants made interprestatins of each other
- Supposition that an underlying commitment to an objectivist epistemoloyg/ontoloty can lead to a sense of uncertianly within an online medium
- There are issues to consdier when gathering data particularly data concerning how participants feel