Cloudworks is no longer accepting new user registrations, and will be closing down on 24th June 2019. We hope to make a read-only archive of the site available soon after.
Workshop: Designing an approach to Open Educational Resources
Cloud created by:
11 October 2010
Description: Offering resources freely and openly changes the way they
are used. In this workshop we will look at what makes such resources
reusable and how this impacts on the design of content, and the design
of activities that users build themselves.
Outcomes: what will the participants get from the session (would like to
have two or three practical tools / ideas)
- appreciate that operating openly changes motivations, interactions
and models of use
- develop a view on how to design more reusable resources
- understand that thinking in terms of patterns offers a way for
users to adjust designs themselves
Design for openness: Activity 1 - 20 minutes
1. As an individual make notes on post-its – identifying a resource (whether copyright free or not) that you have reused in the past eg video clips, audio recordings, images, multimedia database items, newspaper articles etc.
- Note also what made the resource reusable?
2. Pair with a partner and discuss how you reused the resource
3. Agree what post-its should be placed on ‘Activity Sheet 1’ to share your thoughts with the wider group
06:58 on 11 October 2010
Openness and its impac: Activity 2 - 20 minutes
1. Making notes on post-its – think of an open educational resource that you would like to use in your teaching practice.
- What made the resource attractive to use?
Make a note of the way(s) in which you would like to use the resource in your course, having in mind the student activities you would like to faciliate.
2. Pair with a partner and discuss how many different ways you can think of using the resource(s) in your teaching practice
- Make a note of whether the instructional design in this resource was mediated explicitly?
3. Place your post-its on ‘Activity Sheet 2’ to share your thoughts with the wider group
06:59 on 11 October 2010