Research Skills: Subject Knowledge
Subject Knowledge - skills required of excellent PhD or doctoral students
Cloud created by:
12 November 2010
An excellent researcher at doctoral or PhD level:
- Has, at least, core knowledge and basic understanding of key concepts, issues and history of thought.
- Knows of recent advances within own research area and in related areas.
- Is working towards making an original contribution to knowledge.
- Is developing awareness of international and non-academic dimensions of knowledge creation.
Looking ahead, a doctoral student can aim to become an excellent early-career researcher who:
- Develops detailed and thorough knowledge/understanding of own and related subject areas – and becomes familiar with associated areas in other disciplines/research areas.
- Situates knowledge in international context.
Note: These skills are identified in the UK Researcher Development Framework – where they appear as A1.1 Subject Knowledge