Research Skills: Self-confidence
Self-confidence - skills required of excellent PhD or doctoral students
Cloud created by:
12 November 2010
An excellent researcher at doctoral or PhD level:
- Is aware of some personal abilities and willing to demonstrate them.
- Recognises boundaries of own knowledge, skills and expertise and draws upon and uses sources of support as appropriate.
Looking ahead, a doctoral student can aim to become an excellent early-career researcher who:
- Aware of own range of skills and enjoys demonstrating them.
- Able to defend ideas in face of reasonable challenge both from colleagues and others.
- Is self-reliant; capable of directing others.
Note: These skills are identified in the UK Researcher Development Framework – where they appear as B1.4 Personal qualities: self-confidence