Research Skills: Team Working
Team Working skills required of excellent PhD or doctoral students
Cloud created by:
12 November 2010
An excellent researcher at doctoral or PhD level:
- Understands own behaviours and impact on others when working in and contributing to the success of formal and informal teams.
- Appreciates contributions of other team members including non-academic members. Thanks people for their contribution.
Looking ahead, a doctoral student can aim to become an excellent early-career researcher who:
- Understands leadership in team environments; recognises the strengths of team members and works effectively to achieve mutual goals.
- Coaches less experienced researchers and students.
- Gives credit to people for their contribution.
- Builds support and coalitions to attain goals.
Note: These skills are identified in the UK Researcher Development Framework – where they appear as D1.2 Working with Others: Team Working