Research Skills: Mentoring
Mentoring skills required of excellent PhD or doctoral students
Cloud created by:
12 November 2010
An excellent researcher at doctoral or PhD level:
- Effectively supports the lea [removed][removed] rning of others when involved in teaching, mentoring, demonstrating or other research activities.
- Recognises the importance of mentorship.
Looking ahead, a doctoral student can aim to become an excellent early-career researcher who:
- Develops skills as a mentor and uses their own mentorship effectively.
- Encourages peers and less experienced researchers to present at conferences, write and publish joint or individual papers.
- Acts as a mentor to students.
Note: These skills are identified in the UK Researcher Development Framework – where they appear as D1.5 Working with Others: Mentoring