Research Skills: Influence and Leadership
Influence and Leadership skills required of excellent PhD or doctoral students
Cloud created by:
12 November 2010
An excellent researcher at doctoral or PhD level:
- Engages in debate and invites challenge.
- Develops awareness of need to gain support.
- Recognises implications of own research for real life contexts.
- Learns of the value to academia of engaging in dialogue with users to achieve influence and impact.
Looking ahead, a doctoral student can aim to become an excellent early-career researcher who:
- Influences and leads less experienced researchers and students.
- Listens actively and communicates confidently. Presents a convincing case.
- Demonstrates link between own research and real world affairs.
- Engages with stakeholders and users of research to extend influence and impact of research within and beyond academia.
Note: These skills are identified in the UK Researcher Development Framework – where they appear as D1.6 Working with Others: Influence and Leadership