Research Skills: Public Engagement
Public Engagement skills required of excellent PhD or doctoral students
Cloud created by:
12 November 2010
An excellent researcher at doctoral or PhD level:
- Understands the value of engaging with the public, willingly participates.
- Open to influence of public interactions on own work.
- Responds to local opportunities and existing activities; presents aspects of research at public events.
Looking ahead, a doctoral student can aim to become an excellent early-career researcher who:
- Contributes to promoting the public understanding of their research area.
- Appreciates the importance of public engagement for researchers, and seeks ways to realise such opportunities.
- Facilitates engagement with others, leads on local opportunities, is involved with national programmes; applies for small scale funds for activities.
- Recognises the mutual benefit of engagement to research, researchers and the public. Creates a climate where engagement activity is valued.
Note: These skills are identified in the UK Researcher Development Framework – where they appear as D3.2 Engagement and Impact: Public Engagement