Research Skills: Policy
Policy - skills required of excellent PhD or doctoral students
Cloud created by:
12 November 2010
An excellent researcher at doctoral or PhD level:
- Understands the relevant policy-making processes and presents findings in a policy friendly format.
- Analyses policies and understands the wider contexts in which they are situated.
Looking ahead, a doctoral student can aim to become an excellent early-career researcher who:
- Recognises, understands and appreciates the importance of policy making to research and of research to policy making.
- Engages in dialogue with the public, policy makers, government and other key organisations.
- Evaluates the impact of policy and its fitness for purpose.
Note: These skills are identified in the UK Researcher Development Framework – where they appear as D3.4 Engagement and Impact: Policy