e-access 11 conference notes
My live notes, put on Cloudworks after the fact...
Cloud created by:
30 June 2011
Dan Jellienek - more delegates, and more stands this year.
Ed Vaizey - Minister, Deptartment for Communication, Culture and the Creative Industries.
Held four workshops on ...
* Universal service order - EU ???
2. Availability of digital technology, including price,
Dept. of Work and Pensions - Bring down the cost of equipment in the access to work scheme.
3. Single govt portal - 'alpha gov' something.
"Make sure your voice is heard."
* Frank Loyd Wright "All fine architectural values are human values, else not valuable."
* The World Wide Web Designed to be Open & Inclusive,
* Important to remember the people, not just the technology,
* Open Source
* Open Education
* Open Innovation
* Open Collaboration
* Open Data
"inspiring Open Minds"
* Inclusive Environments
* Inclusive Technology
* Inclusive Products
* Inclusive Services
* Inclusive Education
80% of people, without disabilities or signs of ageing get accessibility for free
interoperability is everything
Accessibility cannot survive without it.
Interoperability and Inclusive Design are not interchangeable
But, I wish they were...
The Principles of Inclusive Web Design
Jason Bell, Action for Blind People.
* enables Access Device Neutrality
* allowing Choice and Opportunity for Diverse Users
People of all shapes & sizes
Desktop Laptop Tablet Phone Games console Internet TV AT:hardware -- curve, frown
Applications AT: Software
Browsers Media players Browser extensions Plug-ins Mobile apps W3C widgets -- curve, smile
Content Content Web authoring tools
* Browsers are the windows, the gatekeepers to content
"Human rights are moral principles which apply equally to all human without qualification." Dr Evelyn Kallen - the speaker's mother! (Social anthropologist?)
Creative Commons - which??
Adrian Goodall, Digital Inclusion, Deptartment for Communication, Culture and the Creative Industries (DCMS).
* Funding video relay,
* DCMS web site - interactive stuff?
* e-accessibility forum.
* alpha gov workshop - work on accessibility for the portal site.
Question for Adrian:
* Office for National Statistics - ongoing survey "Life Opportunities survey."
One Voice plenary
* One Voice Practical Steps guide
* Web accessibility
* Mobile and mobile apps.
* IVR - ??
Peter Bloor Research.
* The first 8 practical steps
7 plus or minus 2.
* Eight is doable,
* Eight is not overwhelming,
* But eight is not trivial.
Why these eight steps
* They are all important
* They apply to most web sites
* They are relatively easy to implement,
* They will improve the accessibility of the site/most sites
Steps 1, 2, 3...
* Quick accessibility check
Get an estimate of how accessible you site is now
* Publish an accessibility policy
Express your intent
Put a date on it.
* Provide a Contact Us function
Enable users to tell you easily about accessibility issues
* Add jump to content link
* Ensure tab sequence is logical
* Add alternative text pictures and links
* Ensure text sizing works.
* Launch new Digital Accessibility eLearning
* First UK qualification in Web Accessibility
* Commissioned by EHRC, by AbilityNet & BCS.
* eLearning module and online examination.
* BCS accredited qualification.
Middlesex University - MSc in inclusive technology???
Plenary: Accessibility in the real world
Dr Stephen Duckworth
* Great slides of the development of the Olympic physical site.
Student at Leeds University.
* Social model of disability
- socially constructed barriers, rather than the individuals impairment are the key.
* Example: the telephone.
* Respect for the individual,
* ICT developers should respect,
* Providing choice/ letting the end user choose,
Wanted: 3 monitors and software - 700 pounds.
Was given: mechanical page turner, user - 3000 pounds.
Bought: 3 monitors & software...
Wanted: a laptop, suited to me. (Wheelchair, muscle weaknes from neck down.)
Bought: own laptop.
Wanted: light a Kindle.
Given: heavier Sony reader.
* suppliers list,
* the "Expert",
* product development teams.
1978 - social model paper / digital divide.