Cloudworks is no longer accepting new user registrations, and will be closing down on 24th June 2019. We hope to make a read-only archive of the site available soon after.
OER symposium, 16th SEDA conference 2011
Live blogging... This is the first symposium at a SEDA conference...
Cloud created by:
17 November 2011
* Speaker/Talk 1 (of 3), Prof. Chris Hockings, from the University of Wolverhampton
- Learning to teach inclusively, http://www.wlv.ac.uk/Default.aspx?page=24685
- Uses Xerte,
- Also in Open Jorum
- "21 Being reflexive, ... critical"
Principles & practice - videos.
* Create safe, inclusive spaces
** Get to know students as individuals
* Harness students' experience knowledge
* Teach reflectively and with sensitivity to differences
** "Teachers very aware of their own backgrounds, experiences and how that would influence learning... careful in choice of materials... mindful of diversity... developed a discipline of noticing..[students' involvement].."
Speaker 2 (of 3) - Dr Barbara Lee & Prof. Jenny Anderson, Southampton Solent University.
* First OER was an animation for our Mahara e-portfolio project,
* Setting up a PG in Blended Learning
** participants experimented with JORUM, OpenLearn, iTunes U, MIT courseware, MERLOT, ALT Open Access repository, TED.com/talks
* So what worked for them?
** Visual, not necessarily a talking head, narrated PowerPoint, use of diagrams
** Created clarity in their own concepts
* Key author - Jilly Salmond (?)
** Taking our experience into the Open for Business Project OER2 OMAC.
*** Part of a PGCE in Management teaching
Eg. University of Liverpool - "Rough Guide"
Our project: Supporting students effectively: Tips and tricks.
Inclusive Learning environments (JB), Supporting students (BL), Unit leaders: managing student learning (JA)
Tricks and Tips: Common format: Introduction, Links to theory, Top tricks and things to avoid, Activity.
12:01 on 17 November 2011