Raspberry Pi workshop
Cloud created by:
20 August 2012
Raspberry Pi workshop, 18 Sept
Where: Library Seminar Rooms 1 & 2
Date: Tues 18 September
Have you heard of the Raspberry Pi? What is it? How can we use it?
In this eLearning Community Workshop, we will explore ideas through brief demonstrations and open discussions.
10.00 – 11.00 Raspberry Pi Demonstrations
11.00 coffee break
11.15 – 12.00 Discussions in breakout groups
12.00 – 12.30 Summing up and future plans
The Raspberry Pi is a low cost, linux based, single board, credit card sized computer conceived as a response to concerns around IT, programming and computer science skills in schools and colleges. Following its public launch early in 2012, a burgeoning community has grown beyond this original purpose, with uses of the Raspberry Pi ranging from software and operating system customisation through networking and robotics to hardware interfacing, sensing and control. With the huge evident flexibility of this device, we can ask what possibilities the Raspberry Pi holds for distance learners in higher education.
Themes to consider include, but are not limited to:
- Using the Raspberry Pi to deliver e Learning content
- The Raspberry Pi within science, computing and technology modules?
- The scope for including the Raspberry Pi in new or current modules
- The scope for using the Raspberry Pi beyond science and technology?
If you have a Raspberry Pi and would like to demonstrate your use and ideas, please contact Paul Hatherly [firstname.lastname@example.org] to discuss your requirements.
- What is the Raspberry Pi? http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs
- What people are doing? http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=15
Where to get one?
- RS: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/generalDisplay.html?id=raspberrypi&cm_mmc=UK-PPC-0212-_-02_Raspberry_PI-_-Raspberry_PI-_-Raspberry_Pi
- Farnell: http://uk.farnell.com/raspberry-pi