London Web Accessibility mini-conference 2012 / notes
Cloud created by:
24 September 2012
A more formal write-up to follow...
KEYNOTE - Alison Smith, PeskyPeople.
The future is deaf - we are invisible
10 million 2011 --- 14.5 M 2013
A deafie's digital life - V interesting timeline.
1980 - first closed captioned TV serives (USA)
TDD concept was developed by James Marsters d 2009 deaf dentist + private airplane collected old teleprinter machines.
* #SubtitlesNow / UK
* #CAPTIONthis / USA
6 June 2012
Q. - "closed captions" v. subtitles / audio description.
>> See "joe clark"
2m have hearing aids only 1.4m use them regularly.
Q. - captions aren't the universal answer.
For many who sign/BSL, English is a second language.
Game Accessibility Guidelines, Ian Hamilton,
** Worth $78 bn - global,
** Bigger than music + movie (combined),
"Pod cap" - Games House
* Research, USA 15% declare disability, 20% casual gaming have disability,
* Games for physiotherapy, escapism, fine motor skills, "prescribed"
* "In the corner of his room, a portal (World of Warcraft), not Travis ? in a wheelchair, but X in a game.."
* Web accessibility - visual, hearing, cognitive, physical
* Gaming - plus, speech - yay!
* Red & green teams - red/green colour blind,
** By chance, a tester was colour blind - alternative colour schemes,
** Better - use shape as well as colour..
* Sound - stereo sound - where am I being shot from?
** Indicate on-screen
* Cognitive - no longer have big manuals ("bad old days"), introduce concepts in-game, contextual hints...
** Introductory text - disappears on a timer.
*** Much better to use a button "Click to continue"
* Physical/motor impairments -
** Make controls configurable,
* Patching is possible for some consoles now, but costly - lots of testing,
* Speech impairments - Kinect
** Online multi-player games - actively exclude people with insufficient comms. skills - professional gamers,
** Halo - came up with "My party details" - matchmaking social preferences - "Chattiness" - Chatty; "Motivation" - Good time..
* Ian went out to talk, raise awareness, but kept being asked "where are the guidelines"
Game accessibility guidelines
"This should be required reading for all game devs, ever. Because we exist, and we want to buy your games."
- Silas Humphreys
Statistics - games are riddled with analytics, add hooks for accessibility settings..
OU Player - question - screen reader reading of captions - WAI-ARIA live region?
GReAT project, City University,
"Gesture Recognition in Aphasia Therapy"
-- Stephanie Wilson
* User sees gesture demonstrated twice
* Is invited to copfy the gesture
* 3 levels
* Separate keyboard - 4 buttons
* In isolation/ in context,
Lessons - 4:
1. Direct mapping
Elluminate replacement - 10-11 October demonstrations,
* Check with Will - should I go..
Strobe Media Playback
* Open source media framework
* Mandated by Federal ? Commission,
* customizable font colour, font size, font family
"The Digital Void"
* Vulnerable people
* At boarding school - develop use of social networking tools,
* ..But returning home, no one to support their continued use of social tools,
* ..Social relationships ruptured,
"So Accessibility is important, now what?"
* Direct action - write code,
* Influencing - eg. product manager,
* Time matching
08:29 on 24 September 2012