joshuau: eor phase 1
Cloud created by:
28 November 2012
My project focus is initially fairly broad around helping participants in a MOOC to manage their learning experience. This cloud collects my initial analysis (phase 1 EoR) of available resources, filters and potential MAPs. The EoR context model, learner resources and potential MAPs are embedded below.
Here I summarise briefly what I consider to be the most useful insights gained through the EOR phase 1 process with respect to my focus on helping participants manage their MOOC learning experience.
- Knowledge and Skills for self-regulation are not necessarily part of a MOOC course curriculum (but they could be) and might be integrated in task instructions and faciliated or not through the way the course is structured (e.g. the extent to which paths through content, content, schedules, tasks, are adaptable or pervieved as adaptable by end-users).
- Many tools may be used to help participants regulate their MOOC learning (e.g. task list, goal setting, schedules, reminders). The extent to which participants are aware of these tools, and/or realise they can apply them to their participation in the MOOC is likely to vary.
- People who can help others manage their experience are as likely to be participants as tutors. Designers might help by integrating prompts to participants to adapt schedules, tasks, etc to their own requirements.
- Participants that dip in and out and are doing other stuff may be helped by a course structure that allows them to easily find and access shorter or longer activities as suits them whenever, wherever on the devices most suitable for location and task. They also need to be able to pick activity up again easily.
I would now want to do more contextual and participatory research to find out more about :
- the kinds of knowledge and skills that may be helpful in regulating participants' learning in MOOCs
- where and when participants engage with MOOCs, using what devices and how they movve between episodes of activity and maintain coherence.
- the kinds of strategies and software tools that might be useful...
Go to EoR Phase 1 Cloudscape