Penny Bentley's OLDS MOOC Learning Journal
Cloud created by:
15 January 2013
My comment here has already been posted in the Google Group Discussion. Having just returned from my summer holiday on a beautiful Australian beach, I feel a little behind already. I'm Penny, an Australian secondary maths and science teacher. After 23 years I'm no longer teaching in a traditional classroom but have become interested in online teaching and learning. I've done a number of online courses and my experiences varied enormously. One of my goals for 2013 is gain more skills, knowledge and experience of teaching online....that's why I'm here, to learn how it can be done properly and to come away with something I can deliver. So, that's my motivation for participating in #oldsmooc, now on to the other questions. I've also done a "traditional" course in this area and I'd say my motivation was the same as participating here. I'm a teacher by profession and have discovered that I love the design aspect of online teaching and learning. Roles are changing...can I work in this field without re qualifying as an "Instructional Designer"? At the moment I'm learning all I can, any way I can....I'd love employment in this area though :) Re completion, yes. When I begin something I like to follow through and finish it to the best of my ability. As for certification...what I need is recognition by my Institute of Teaching that what I'm doing is appropriate ongoing professional development. I have certain criteria to be met before I apply for re-registration later this year. So whether it's a digital certificate, badge or acknowledgment in some other format, recognition of my learning is important for me...not so much a formal qualification. I guess it's more informal. As a result of completing this MOOC I hope to gain more skills, knowledge and experience of online teaching. I'd like to develop this in the context of delivering professional development to teachers or mentoring pre service teachers. I'm currently involved in a research project at Victoria University, Melbourne, looking into the relationships between pre service teachers and their mentors. Cheers Penny
MY OTHER PLACE ON THE WEB
Along with using this Learning Journal I will be posting on my wordpress.com blog.
06:32 on 18 January 2013 (Edited 06:41 on 18 January 2013)
MY PERSONAL LEARNING OBJECTIVES
This week I hope to. - understand how the MOOC operates - set up my workflow on desktop computer and iPad - connect with other participants - work my way through the activities - watch the introductory video - think about and decide on a project How do I know if I've achieved this? - once I get the "big picture" - when I'm satisfied that I'm covering all aspects of the MOOC in the best way possible - the notifications will start rolling in - tick them off the checklist - done - once I stop changing my mind, have connected with someone and settled on a project title.
06:39 on 18 January 2013 (Edited 06:39 on 18 January 2013)
WEEK 1 REFLECTION
Posted on my blog
12:49 on 18 January 2013
PLANS FOR WEEK 2
Week 2 is over, but here's what I'd planned:
- to go in search of project collaborators
- to get my head around the Contextual Learning Design Approaches of personas, force maps in scenarios, and the Ecology of Resources design framework.
- I was also keen to have a look at he applications of Scientific Inquiry is design planning
- something needs to give, to plan my OLDS journey around my life rather than the other way around
- think about other was of presenting information on Clodworks...too much text
- get on with more thinking and less social chit chat
- think more about context
- My interests in delivering online learning to students overlap in 2 Google groups which I have joined.
- OLDS MOOC webinar study group group https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/115822896571786655879
- OLDS MOOC school study group https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/107176900797507707804
- I set up a Wikispaces wiki for the OLDS MOOC webinar study group to centralise the project. Progress has already been made collecting information in this space.
- Enjoyed chatting to +Morten Mosgaard about projects in Blackboard Collaborate today -15 degrees in Sweden +30 degrees in Australia.
- Had fun in the Converge Session, reflected briefly in the Google Discussion Forum and still want to blog about all of this. Maybe tomorrow.
11:10 on 24 January 2013 (Edited 11:29 on 24 January 2013)
11:10 on 24 January 2013 (Edited 11:11 on 24 January 2013)