Cloudworks is no longer accepting new user registrations, and will be closing down on 24th June 2019. We hope to make a read-only archive of the site available soon after.
Iwona's Dream:Increased Peer2Peer Connectedness in a Self-Directed Learning Environment
Cloud created by:
24 January 2013
Tags: peer2peer elearning ESL languages selfdirectedlearning openlearning newcomers
The stakeholders’ contexts:
Describe the material and social characteristics of the environment in which you operate. Where will your project take place? Who are the main actors involved? Include images, videos, sketches - anything that would help others understand the opportunities and constraints you are dealing with.
- adults (19+)
- stay-at-home moms, shift workers, limited or no access to f2f classes
- located in the city of Winnipeg, in the regions of Manitoba and pre-arrival immigrants headed to the province (different timezones)
- permanent residents, provincial nominees, Canadian citizens, refugee claimants living in Manitoba
- varied digital skills from very basic to high users
- varied language skills from basic to intermediate
- varied educational and cultural backgrounds
- approximately 1600 learners registered, 300-400 active every month (unique logins to LMS)
- pick and choose the content and activities they want to engage in
- non-profit organization
- funded 100% by the province of Manitoba
- not funded to develop content
- e-learning content developed by 3rd party
- 2.5 FTE e-facilitators
- continuous intake
- synchronous learning options: drop-in virtual classes offered weekly
- asynchronous learning options: self-study courses based on interactive modules, weekly tips, discussion board, Twitter, Wiki with self-directed learning strategies
- blended learning options: 4-week courses (1 synchronous class per week plus a # of self-study activities)
- e-facilitators respond to queries, guide to resources, deliver synchronous classes, weekly tips, moderate discussion board and feedback on journal reflections
- custom-built LMS with limited social functionalities; L not able to contact another learner through the LMS
The change you would like to see (challenge)
What do you hope to achieve?
What would be different if you succeed?
- a toolkit of instructor-initiated collaborative and engaging peer-to-peer activities to increase learner connectedness
- a toolkit of peer-initiated activities
Increased L engagement in self-directed learning with EO.
How you might go about bringing that change
What is your pedagogical approach? Which technologies will you use to implement it, and how?
- a survey to find out about learner preferences and ideas
- the Discussion Board inside LMS
- project-based learning incorporated into the virtual classes
- social media
Add extra content