Cloudworks is no longer accepting new user registrations, and will be closing down on 24th June 2019. We hope to make a read-only archive of the site available soon after.

Cloud created by:

Itana Gimenes
9 February 2013

It register observations on design prototyping

Extra content

Embedded Content

Contribute

Itana Gimenes
3:04pm 9 February 2013

I frenquently use Powerpoint in my lectures. So, I use animations and links. One example is in a course I gave in 2012 about OER (REA in Portuguese) as you can find in the link to Slideshare (itanagimenes). In Computer Science we frequently use animations to show algorithm behaviour. It works well to show student concrete representations, for instance of push/pop stack behaviour or of a quicksort.

As we have many interesting resources in the Web, like OERs, Youtube videos, it is common to link the slides to web pages, as you can see in my slides. It is important to be aware of the Internet connections we are going to find in the places we give our class. If you don't prototype, you may not be able to do the course. So you need to download important videos, etc.

We also frequently use software tools, like tools for UML modelling, so we use the slides to guide the students to practical exercises.

If we use a tool that show the design as a workflow, like CompendiumLD, it makes the prototyping easier, so you could for instance have an animation to support the inspection of the course activities.

I believe Learning Design can be enhanced with the work within community domain of learning, for a software engineering learning design domain. As we progress in the domain we can create patterns, specific prototyping tools and course workflows that may new designs much easier.

Here is a creative demonstration made by students of UFMG demonstrating the behaviour of a Merge Sort: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Tx3WfhwEw&feature=share It surely demanded a lot of prototyping.

Diana Laurilllard
10:56am 10 February 2013

Itana a CS course is the ideal opportunity to teach potty ping for learning designs. I think it's not the same as normal user design because we are trying to create the interaction that changes the learner's conception or skill. It is not simply about enabling them to use the interface. Do you think there is an important difference here? I think it's a tougher test.

Diana Laurilllard
11:00am 10 February 2013

Wonderful glitch there I didn't notice in time - potty ping is of course the iPhone interpretation of prototyping! (Am struggling without Internet access today).

Tom Reeves
2:21am 11 February 2013

"Potty ping"! I needed a laugh today and this certainly provided one. I do worry about the algorithm that the iPhone folks are using to “correct” spelling. Back to the topic, I enjoyed the merge sort video that Itana posted.

Here is a two-part video about prototyping (or perhaps potty ping):

Prototyping for better elearning: Part 1

Prototyping for better elearning: Part 2

These videos are each around 10 minutes long.

Itana Gimenes
1:37pm 11 February 2013

Diana and Tom,

We prototype user interfaces to verify if the user "learned" how to use a system through its interface, in addition to feel confortable with menus, collors, etc. So, there are many similarities with the learning activities, but I agree that to evaluate if the concepts or skills were successfully transmitted is more subtle. Here we come to point that prototyping requires models and their validation. Wrong models can lead to misconceptions which is worse than not been able to transmit a skill or concept. A big difference here is that when we design software system, we are trying to elicit and validate requirements to build a better system, we are not trying to decide which architecture the system will have. This leads me to think that we missed something in the conceptual map and activity design, don't you think? There, we should have thought more of the models of teaching (learning strategies) so that here in the prototyping we could be dealing with how to realize the activity based on tools (computer-supported or not).

In Tom Reeves examples we can see that different pedagogical strategies are tried, so what is the best moment to decide about the learning strategy, in the activity design or in the prototyping? I would argue that it is in the activity design because even the activity sequence may change.

Tom Reeves
5:40pm 11 February 2013 (Edited 5:42pm 11 February 2013)

It is important to identify the appropriate pedagogical strategies early in the Learning Design process. My Aussie colleagues, Jan Herrington and Ron Oliver, and I have long argued that if the objectives and content lend themselves to it, that learning through engagement in authentic tasks is highly desirable. More info about this is available here: http://authenticlearning.info/AuthenticLearning/Home.html

Itana Gimenes
1:23am 12 February 2013

Very interesting Tom. I'll be a different lecturer after this MOOC. Sometimes I think of the ideas of authentic learning but I didn't know there was a theory behind it. I think I can find several software engineering situations where I can apply these ideas. Even when I was doing my plan I thought there must be a way of designing more authentic tasks.

Contribute to the discussion

Please log in to post a comment. Register here if you haven't signed up yet.