Cloudworks is no longer accepting new user registrations, and will be closing down on 24th June 2019. We hope to make a read-only archive of the site available soon after.
Please share in the evaluation of my sustainability MOOC: Jeff Waistell
Cloud created by:
21 February 2013
To further develop this evaluation, your views on the following reflections are welcomed, where learners are involved in the process of evaluating a sustainability MOOC:
1. Gain attention - this stage of the MOOC is very important for drawing in a massive open audience. The best way of gaining attention in the domain of sustainability is to develop discussion of how environmental events are affecting people's lives,. e.g. using social media to discuss current news on the wild weather that comes from climate change.
2. Identify objective - this is an interesting aspect; with the MOOC being massive and open, there are many and diverse objectives amongst stakeholders and sustainability matters in different ways to different people. It is important to pose the question: "What is sustainability and how does it affect you?"
3. Recall prior learning - review definitions, knowledge and experience of sustainability to produce a collage of understanding.
4. Present stimulus - ask learners to speed-date other species via Google and then to speed-date each other, to compare learning about species, habitats and sustainability, in order to outline a conservation plan for species.
5. Guide learning - show example of a conservation plan.
6. Elicit performance - ask students to further develop their own conservation plans of a species in their locale.
7. Provide feedback - ask learners to compare and contrast their plans
8. Assess performance - ask learners to score each others' plans.
9. Enhance retention/transfer - ask learners how the conservation plans can become personal action plans to support their own campaigning in support of their chosen species.
Gagne, R., Briggs, L. & Wager, W. (1992). Principles of Instructional Design (4th Ed.). Fort Worth, TX: HBJ College Publishers.