Cloudworks is no longer accepting new user registrations, and will be closing down on 24th June 2019. We hope to make a read-only archive of the site available soon after.
Aida Samiyeva, Pavlodar State University
Cloud created by:
29 January 2015
Mobile Learning is part of the new pattern of education created thanks to the technologies supporting flexible, available, personal training. Daily use by pupils of mobile phones and other devices, for example video game consoles which can be used and in the educational purposes, is the main incentive of mass distribution of mobile training worldwide now. Daily use by pupils of mobile phones and others it is important to mark that mobile technologies can help with provision of quality education for development of children, youth and adults around the world as it is marked for the purpose of the Program of UNESCO "Educations for all" (EFA).
First, portability of mobile technologies gives to users big flexibility and convenience. Pupils are free to select time of access to educational content from absolutely improbable limits now.
Besides, one more clear advantage of mobile training is possibility of tactile, sensor interactions. Mobile content can and shall be created so that the user interacted with it interactive. Even simple things, like audio, interactive interfaces, vibrations, svayp and drag-and-drop of relocation can become powerful force in the context of mobile training.
At last, this type of training imposes big requirements to the contents – both to quality, and to quantity. Content on a mobile platform shall be extremely rectilinear and simple, and without prejudice to its depth and features of lessons. Content shall be short.
It is widely recognized that the idea of mobile training is based on using of the learning opportunities given by mobile technologies. Such method is most actual when the pupil is not in advance defined place and trained by using situational approach and resources available to it. Mobile training also allows learners to change easily a situation and conditions of study and to combine training in several educational institutions. Mobile education assumes appearance of the whole range of new methods of training and the teaching based on belief that interaction in the conditions of the traditional class often not so effectively as it would be desirable.
Most often for mobile training the following devices are used:
- mobile phones,
- personal audio devices, for example, mp3/mp4 players,
- easy figurative PCs, for example, tablet PCs, netbooks and small notebooks.
We will consider the main pluses of mobile training, along with typical problems which for it are characteristic. And let us begin with advantage of mobile training:
- Opportunity to apply the latest technologies in training.
- Opportunity to use easy, compact, portable devices in training.
- Mobile training well is suitable for the most different types of educational activity, and also for application within the mixed training.
- By means of mobile technologies it is possible to provide high-quality support for training in any format.
- Mobile training can be the good supporting tool when learnerы with special needs.
- Allows to cut expenses considerably.
- Gives the chance to use new methods of development of educational content.
- Provides the continuous, target support of training.
On the other hand, a number of problems and difficulties also is connected to mobile training, specifically:
- Technical issues: the small size of screens and keys on mobile devices; problems with Internet access; that fact that mobile devices work only from batteries; memory size, available on mobile devices; problems of information security; absence of uniform standards in connection with mobile platforms, characteristics of devices; need to process normal electronic content for mobile devices; risks in connection with loss of the mobile device.
- Social and educational problems: not all pupils are able to afford to acquire the suitable mobile device; problems in connection with an assessment of results of training; problems in connection with safety of educational content; too fast development of mobile technologies; not development of the pedagogical theory for mobile training; conceptual distinctions between e-learning and mobile training; the problems connected to safety of personal information; need of continuous updates; mixing of private life and operation/training.
Mobile devices will also penetrate further into all spheres of our life, and mobility will become one of key requirements to pupils. Non-traditional forms of education by means of mobile communication possess huge potential in such areas as medical education, personal monitoring of health, formation of the active civic stand, ecology and learning of foreign languages. All will extend more widely the active approaches, for example, crowdsourcing in case of which, thanks to a large number of users of mobile devices, becomes possible to collect and visualize global data. Cloud computing will facilitate remote control of staff and will allow to share educational resources.
Mobile training is a huge step in development of an education system of the whole world as it allows to simplify considerably the difficulties in training connected to physical capacities, language and cultural distinctions. However, for creation of qualitative course additional efforts from the teacher are required. Mobile training can promote a raising of level of knowledge of people as to start studying new material, it is enough to find of it in the Internet and to download on the mobile device. But as far as mobile training wouldn't be convenient, it will hardly be able to exist without classical education, but will always be its excellent addition.