Jo Walter's representation review
Cloud created by:
31 March 2015
The representation’s I chose to review were the "Healthy Eating" as an ISiS model and in the ScenEdit tool and Healthy Eating in an e-design template
Taking first the ISIS model and ScenEdit tool, I found that these had a real ‘readability’. There was an iterative approach to the ScrenEdit graphical tool, which made the process easy to follow but, perhaps the linear nature of the design in itself has some limitations. Although inquiry is often undertaken as part of a ‘cycle’ it is often not a linear process and I think the expressiveness of the design was somewhat was limited as result, in that it might potential stifle a ‘creative’ approach. Nonetheless, I was clear about the important aspects of the design and I liked the ‘Intentions, Strategies, Situations’ headings and the defining of key stakeholders and resources and how these might interplay with the student.
I think this would work to express my narrative design, but I note that the design itself falls largely into an old style ‘instructional design’ design approach which, in itself, may be overly linear at the cost of creativity.
The main benefit of using this tool would be to help students see the ‘intention’ in each aspect of learning process, which I don’t think was sufficiently articulated in practice. In addition, the interplay between themselves, as students, other stakeholders, resources and situations might have had an impact of encouraging collaboration.
Moving on to the –e-design template, I liked the way in which an overview was provided across the weeks of delivery about how the learners might move from induction to self-organised learning. I also liked that the deliver is separated into segments, so that it is possible to see the range of methods being used at a glance, which reminded me of an old style lesson plan. It was also easy to see where interaction was part of this activity but, unlike the first design, it wasn’t as easy to see the situations and resources which were part of this scenario. There was no activity in the last two columns, but as it was only session 2, this fitted in with the overarching map which the columns were linked to.
I am not sure that this would work for mapping my design, unless I was able to define the overarching objectives in a way which would support similar mapping to the approach used here. However, I think this could be done and would, in fact, test the robustness of the activity I wrote about, in meeting the learning objectives it set out to address. In fact, I quite like this idea and may well give it a try! This would be a key benefit of applying the template to the design and allow the students to see how each of the activities they undertake are moving them towards their overall learning goals – again I think this was an area which was inadequately articulated in my design narrative.